On April 10, Liberty University’s baseball team played during an annual military appreciation game at LU, beating Charleston State 9-6 and honoring the men and women who have served in the U.S. military.
The game, which was coordinated and hosted by Liberty Military Affairs, was a huge success, resulting in an attendance of roughly 50 veterans. The game began at 1:30 p.m. with the National Anthem and the unfurling of the American Flag along with a joint colorguard between the Air Force and Army ROTC.
All veterans in attendance were admitted into the game for free and received a five dollar meal voucher. In addition to this, the first 1,000 guests to arrive received a free camo Liberty t-shirt.
“I thought it was awesome. It’s always great to be able to honor the men and women serving our country and the military, because at the end of the day baseball is just a game and they’re laying their lives down for our freedom,” said Liberty baseball player Josh Barrick.
The game was a great opportunity for veterans and their families to come out and have a good time.
“It’s a great time any time you get to come out and be around other veterans, and get to bring your family out,” Staff Sgt. Matt Vanderveer said.
Liberty Military Affairs is dedicated to reaching out to the Military communities at Liberty University. They provide their supports through various outlets.
• Resources: Liberty Military Affairs provides resources and tools for both residential and online military students.
• Academic Programs: Liberty offers a variety of programs for military students to succeed in achieving their goals.
• Financial Support: Liberty University provides financial support for Military students. They offer a wide variety of scholarships.
• Military Community: Liberty University strives to reach out to the military members of our community and their families. They provide programs that help students reach out to active members through care packages. Liberty also host events, such as the military appreciation game, honoring the men and women who have served.
As the semester comes to an end, Liberty University will be hosting two more events:
• The Military Appreciation Softball game, which will be held April 24
• The Military Graduation Recognition Ceremony, which will be held May 13 at 7:30 p.m.
Petty Officer 3rd class, Jimmy Bible came out to enjoy the game with his son. Bible says that Liberty is not ashamed of the military like many other schools.
The baseball game was one of many successful game and events to show support for our U.S. military. Liberty University will continue to show its support of the U.S. Military, as well as bring home many more victories by the Liberty baseball team.
The above story was written by a student journalist at Liberty University for a class project.